In this dissection we were given salmon heads and were to examine gill filament under a microscope.
- Salmon head
- Teasing needle
- Microscope, slide and cover slip
- Using scissors or scalpel cut vertically with shallow cuts, as to not damage the gill filaments underneath, along the edge of the operculum, this reveals the gill filament and arch
- Then cut a section of the gill arch and pull it away from the rest of arch
- Cut a small section of filament, wash the piece and place it on a slide
- Observe the sample under a microscope and slowly up the magnification to see specific features